Introduction to Photography - Week 1

8.8.14 (Week 1)
Jasmine Yeoh, (0321190)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 1: Presentation of 10 of your best-liked pictures

Lecture:
During the first lesson of "Introduction to Photography" Mr Vinod asked each of us to introduce ourselves as well as state why we had chosen this elective. I chose Photography over Human Communication because I prefer hands on and practical tasks such as taking pictures and editing them. I developed an interest in photography while aimlessly playing around with my sister's DSLR(that now belongs to me) or the camera on my phone, taking pictures of whatever intrigued me or looked pretty.

After the introduction, he explained to us what the Taylor's Graduate Capabilities for our course were and how the grading system worked. 

Our final grade consists of:
-40% Formative exercises
-40% Summative based projects
-20% Portfolio

Mr Vinod instructed us to get either a DSLR camera or mirrorless camera, a fixed or short range lens a steady tripod and a folder for the hardcopy portfolio. He told us that a good lens has a lower focal point (2.8 and below), and a sensor size with a higher APSC.

---

Exercise 1:
We have to select 10 photographs which we liked and make a video with a voice over talking about what we found interesting about each photograph. Out of the 10 photographs, 5 have to be taken by other photographers and 5 that we took ourselves.


10 Best Liked Pictures


This picture was taken with a Sony Digital camera when I went on holiday to Bangkok, Thailand. I like how the focus is on the rattan ball but you can still see the hanging wooden puppets in the background. This makes the picture more interesting because there is more than one subject in the picture and the puppets add pops of colour to the picture.

I took this picture to draw for my art exam and the topic was “Portrait of a person wearing a hat”. I love how the sunlight shines through the holes of the straw hat and onto her face. This adds texture to the picture. The contrast between the main subject and the surrounding pushes the focus towards subject and makes the picture look less busy. I edited the picture in black and white and increased the contrast because I felt like it highlighted the light casted on her face.

This was one of the pictures I took when first trying to use a DSLR camera. I found this picture interesting because even though it is so simple and minimal, there is a story behind it. During the Chinese Lantern Festival, children usually go to this park to play with their lanterns so this heart is created on the pavement using melted candle wax. It reminds me of when I use to do that when I was younger.



This picture was taken for my IGCSE art exam with the topic “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. I like this picture because there is a deep emotional story behind it and people can interpret this picture differently, giving it their own backstory as to why she is screaming so in this sense I think this picture really is worth a thousand words.


This is a photo that I took when I learned the power of aperture. I used a small aperture and a single focal point to give the dreamy background effect. That, together with the bright and sunny colours, gives a very cheerful and happy vibe to the picture. However, if it were black and white it could very easily give a very different mood to the picture.


This picture was taken by a photography named Benoit Courti. Almost all of his photographs have pitch-black backgrounds that typically represent unhappiness and they all illustrate heartbreak or sadness.  I love that the focus is on the hands and that the face in the distant is blurry. I love how emotional this picture is because it tells the heartbreaking story of having to leave someone.

Fakrul Jamil who is a local photographer took this picture. He took this picture on his trip to New Zealand. It is a Milky Way panorama from lake Takapo and it actually consists of 36 vertical pictures stitched together. I think this picture is visually stunning and it really captures the beauty of nature. The big, bright stars make this picture look as if it was actually taken in space.


This iconic picture is by Alfred Eisenstaedt called V-J Day in Times Square. I love this picture as it illustrates romance because of the passionate kiss shared by the sailor and the nurse and celebration, because it was the end of the war and there are happy   people around them. I really like that it was a candid picture that captured a moment rather than it being staged and composed.


This picture is also an iconic one, candy cigarette by Sally Maan. I think this accurately represents children these days who are growing up too fast. In the blurry background you can see her siblings playing how children their age should while she is slouching, holding a cigarette. I like this picture because it is quite truthful and it kind of wakes people up into realising how wrong this is and that children should have a proper childhood.


This is a picture of model Sasha Pivovarova taken by fashion photographer Craig McDean. I chose this picture because of my love for fashion and clothes. I like the colours and how they compliment each other such as the nudes and neutral colours. There is colour blocking is present in the background which is modern and simplistic. The model is facing the source of light so that her face is lit up the most and it displays her facial features better.



Screenshot of Word Document:




My video: 10 Best Liked Pictures




Feedback:
"Jasmine with regards to your content, you articulated, analysed and explained your reasons for choosing the picture presented very well, and in addition credited the photographers as required in the criteria, well done! You were clear and concise in your presentation fulfilling the necessary requirements of the criteria, my only negative comment would be with regards to the music which I felt was appropriate but at times was a little too loud and tended to drown your excellent commentary. Overall, it was a well done, good job and keep it up."

Reflection:
Experience:
I learned a bit on the different types of cameras lenses and tripods, which are good and which are bad, and where to buy cheap, value for money photography equipment. I really enjoyed making the video and finding, choosing and adding music to go with it.

Observation:
I like talking about pictures but sometimes i find it difficult to find the words that match my feelings towards the picture.

Findings:
I found that I enjoy producing videos but I hate the sound of my own voice.

This entry was posted on Friday 8 August 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply