Introduction to Photography - Week 9

3.10.14 (Week 9)
Jasmine Yeoh 0321190

Introduction to Photography

Lecture:
In this lecture, Mr Vinod gave us a tutorial on how to get our digital photographs ready to print, using photoshop. He gave us a demonstration on how to use photoshop tools such as burn tool, dodge tool and spot healing tool as well as how to edit the levels. He then showed us how to resize the image and change the canvas size into A4, suitable for printing. He then gave us instructions for our class exercise.

Instructions:
Go around campus to take a "wow factor" picture and later resize the image and canvas size and edit accordingly using photoshop. 

Exercise:
ISO200 / f3.5 / 1/320


Final Project (Week 1)
Topic: Homosexuality

1) ISO100 / f3.5 / 1/160

2)  ISO100 / f3.5 / 1/80

3)  IS0400 / f4 / 1/6

4) ISO800 / f3.5 / 1/5

5) ISO400 / f4 / 1/13



Reflection:
Experience
Since I already knew how to use photoshop, I was familiar with how to use the tool on photoshop, however, I didn't know how to resize the picture without reducing the clarity of the picture. While doing the class exercise, I found it difficult to get a "wow factor" picture on campus because i see it everyday so I'm use to the surroundings and nothing looks special.

Choosing the topic for my final project was difficult for me because I had many ideas but wasn't sure how to execute them. Finally, I chose to do homosexuality. The reason I chose it was because it was a controversial topic, especial being in a country such as Malaysia due to religion, and I wanted to shock the viewer.

Observation
In the end I think my shots weren't what I envisioned them to be because I faced many problems such as finding people who were willing to pose for me and even when they posed for me they felt really uncomfortable so I had to be quick to capture the shot. Some of my shots were not exactly in focus and you can see unintentional movement in the picture such as in picture 4.

Findings
I found that when you make the image smaller on photoshop, it increases the clarity of the shot. I realised that in order to get a good shot in a place where you are familiar with, you have to experience things as if you are doing it for the first time, only then will to find beauty in what you see everyday.

This entry was posted on Saturday 11 October 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply