Introduction to Photography - Week 13

 9.11.14 (Week 13)
Jasmine Yeoh, (0321190)
Introduction to Photography
Studio Lighting Exercise

Lecture:
At the beginning of class, Mr Vinod went through the study material on studio lighting he posted on facebook and clarified our doubts. Later we went to the photo studio to do our studio lighting exercise.

Studio Lighting Exercise:
Instructions:
We had to chose a photograph of a portrait from the 1920s-1960s and try to mimic photo's lighting, make-up, clothing and hair.


Reflections
Experience
I learnt the different types of lighting and how each one is important and has a special task. I also learnt about the different portrait lighting patterns. I learnt that they can be quite similar and the same lighting pattern may that different names.
It was fun trying to imitate the photograph I chose and helping other people with their hair and make-up because I enjoy dressing up and doing make-up and hair. I also had to help hold a reflector which essentially reflects a small amount of light to an area but I found that it really does make a difference. While I was posing for the picture, the lights were really hot and glaring but it was overall, enjoyable following direction. The pose of the photograph was very unnatural so it was difficult to mimic it. I also enjoyed editing the picture of photoshop and playing with curves to achieve the high contrast effect of the original photograph.

Observation
It is quite difficult for me to differentiate the different lighting patterns while watching the others take their pictures but I am excited to try it out myself next week when I get behind the camera.

Findings
I found that when people take studio shots, their make-up is usually exaggerated more due to the harsher lighting therefore, I found it interesting when I did my make-up because in real life, it looked very over done but it looks good in the picture. 

This entry was posted on Thursday 13 November 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply